The timeline shows you the history of Spiesen-Elversberg from 700 BC until 2016
from 700 BC Celtic time
Racing fires and shaft furnaces from this time can be found in Ruhbachtal
50 - 48 B.C.
Julius Caesar defeats the Celtic tribes of the Mediomatriks and Treverians. The region around Spiesen and Elversberg belonged to the Mediomatric tribes, whose main town is Metz. After the Roman conquest our region is part of the province Belgica in Gaul.
2nd and 3rd century AD
Gallo-Roman settlement is proven by finds and coins.
about 150 AD - about 390 AD
Villa rustica at the Freidelbrunnen
3rd and 4th Jhrdt
Alemanni invasions, the Villa rustica is abandoned at the end of the 4th century.
4th - Middle 5th century
The Alemanni consolidate their rule and are driven out by the Franks after the Hun invasion
Early 6th century
Clovis I establishes the Frankish Empire, but the population of Gallo-Romans and Alemanni is not expelled
Bishop Adventius of Metz founds the monastery of Neumünster (Ottweiler), which is one of the owners of Spiesen in the following centuries
Spiesen belongs to Upper Lorraine.
Origin of the castle Kirkel, Spiesen belongs to the Bliesgau and in it to Alt-Limpach (old town).
The county of Saarwerden is created.
Foundation of the county of Saarbrücken.
Archbishop Albero von Trier announces in a document that: "Mistress Gisela, widow of Count Friedrich von Saarbrücken, in community with her son Simon, has donated all her paternal inheritance in Wadgassen to St. Peter in our presence for the salvation of her and her parents' souls."
The monastery Wadgassen is occupied by Premonstratensian monks, who later own a part of Spiesen.
"After a division of the estate, Count Friedrich I von Saarwerden took over the rights of Kirkel Castle. Thus it also came into possession of Ludwig I. (* 1150) of Saarwerden, together with free property and parts of the village of Spiesen"(2)
1st documentary mention of Spiesen: "Abbot Godfried of Wadegoz (Wadgassen) states that Ludewich of Sarwerde had pledged the bailiwick of Rorbach together with a nearby allod (property) to the Hermann of St. Engelbert; he had given the count 15 talents to redeem this pledge under the condition that the named bailiwick would never again be pledged, nor be allowed to come into other hands. Now, however, the count had given an allod namely one hoof (area measure) at Spizze, half of one at Rorbach, the fourth part of one hoof at Hove and the eighth part of the Puzer Forest by the hand of the monastic patron, Count Symon of Sarbrucke, to the monastery for a soul's device". (1)
1197 (April 18)
"Pope Celestine III confirms to the monastery of Wadgassen all its properties and rights, including a mansus (area measure) near Spize and all properties owned by the monastery in Siszwilre (Sitzweiler/ near Spiesermühle).
Bishop Jakob von Metz confirms the donation (?) of the Spiesen dairy to the Neumünster monastery by the knight Wirrich von Virei.
The abbess of the Neumünster monastery, Irmgard, concludes a contract with the knight Friderich vom Stein (de Lapide), from the diocese of Mainz, about the collation and presentation of the church at Spiesen, i.e. about the parish occupation right. From this document it follows that this knight, also an owner of Spiesen, has rights to occupy the parish.
Document: "The married couple, knight Friderich vom Stein (de Lapide) and his wife Jutta sell to the abbot Isenbard and the monastery Wadegosien all their own property in Spiesen and Lendelvingen (near St. Ingbert), consisting of serfs, houses, gardens, meadows, fields, forests, bushes, interest and everything for 82 pounds of Metzer Denare.
30 January 1307
Settlement and settlement of a dispute between the Wadgassen monastery and the knight Jofried von Saarbrücken (de Sareponte) on the one hand and the abbess of Neumünster on the other hand about the patronage and presentation right of the church at Spiesen (ecclesie de Spissa), which alternatively should be exercised by both parties and should remain with them forever.
19 January 1320
Count Johann von Saarbrücken and Herr zu Commercy settle by contract the dispute between the Wadgassen monastery and the knights Jofried and Reinhold von Saarbrücken over the ownership of the village of Spiszen. The monastery receives ¾ and the knights ¼ of the land right, also the tithe is divided.
14th January 1330
Count Johann von Saarbrücken, Lord of Commercy states that the dispute between the Wadgassen monastery and the brothers Jofried and Reinhold von Saarbrücken over the village of Spieszen has been settled.
Incomplete and badly damaged inventory (interest roll) of goods and income that the Wadgassen monastery, among others, also has in Spiesen. "In Spiesen the monastery has old and newly purchased pensions; on Shrove Tuesday chickens are delivered to the church. The monastery owns half of the entire allod here."
November 24th, 1345.
Knight Jofried of Saarbrücken and his wife Sophie, in exchange for 200 Trier pounds, transferred their property in lace between St. Wendel and [Blies] Castel to Archbishop Balduin as a fiefdom.
September 29, 1346
Count Eberhard von Zweibrücken declares that he had given the Wadgassen monastery the mortgage bond that his father had from Gottfried (Jofried) von Saarbrücken on goods in Spiessen for the 100 gulden loaned to his father. If Gottfried wants to redeem the pledge, he must do so before the abbot.
Jofried von Saarbrücken (Sarepons), Waeppner, Herr von Mulebach, son of the knight weiland Jofried von Saarbrücken, explains that the occupation of the church of Spiszen was alternately due to the monastery of Neumünster and to him in connection with the abbot of Wadgassen.
Knight Jofried hands over and cedes his part Juris patronatus to the Wadgassen church forever.
November 11, 1357
Knight Jofried of Saarbrücken states that he hereditarily sells to Grave [Count] Walramen von Zweybrücken all the property he has at the stake to people, to guild, to shafts, to interest, to good, to right, to court high and low, to bus, to woods, to waters, to weyden, to furs and all other rights.
1357 - 1361
In a list of the papal taxes from the archipresbyterate of Neumünster, which belongs to the diocese of Metz, the parishes (parschiales ecclesiae) include Spisheim with 3 Grosz tax share. Here, however, only the quarter of the goods and rights of the Neumünster monastery are concerned in comparison to the other three quarters which belong to the Wadgassen monastery.
September 29th, 1366
Count Eberhard of Zweibrücken states that his father, Blessed Count Walram, had given the monastery of Wadgassen a pledge of goods in Spieszen from Jofried of Saarbrücken for the hundred gulden owed, and that Jofried could redeem this pledge with the Abbot of Wadgassen.
March 9, 1377
Metza von Spieszen gave herself and her goods to God and the Neumünster monastery for her salvation.
Archbishop Otto von Trier explains that when Jofried von Saarbrücken had given his share of spits to Walraf von Zweibrücken for 100 florins for his and his ancestors' salvation to Wadgassen; but the same was true from Trier to fiefdom, and the purchase was made without the knowledge of Trier; he now gives this share to Wadgassen.
September 8, 1436
Abbot Philipp gives Tilmar, the Wagner, Bitschhannes, Theodor, the Wagner and Nikolaus, the carpenter and their heirs a meadow, called Rettinger Brül, from Kellners Weg to Rettgenborn [Rödgestal ?] in hereditary lease against an annual pension of four capons, which is to be paid on St. Stephen's Day, three to Wadgassen and one to Frau von Neumünster. In case of non-compliance the meadow is returned to the monastery.
September 9, 1454
Johann von Rosendahl, burgrave of Ottweiler, wrote a complaint to Wolff von Moscheln, bailiff of Zweybrücken, about the plundering of the village of Spiesheim on the Monday after Mary's birth in 1454.
September 9, 1454
Niclas von Folklingen, Scholtesz [Schultheiss] of Saarbrücken, also addressed a notice of appeal with the same wording to the Zweibrücken magistrate.
In the year Dusentfünfhundert one year was held at Spesenn. [Excerpt Adding]
Abbot Johannes von Wadgassen leases the quarry or desert area on both sides of the Wackenfurt below the farm Sitzweiler (Sitzwilre) to Albrechts Hans and Gretzen Hans, both from Spiesen (Spiessenn), for an annual perpetual interest of five " Redderalbus", available on "nuwen martdag" to the house in Saarbrücken (Sarbrucken).
Year thing to bite. "Uff Mandag near sant paulins dag was held in bysyn of the honorable and vurnemigen Junker Dederichen Amptmann to Ottwiler and Matthisen Deghen Scholthessen to Saarbrücken a Jargedinck. The usual introduction is followed by a description of the border, which is followed by the explanations of the jurors about existing law in the village.
7th April 1538
Ruprecht, Count Palatine near the Rhine and Count of Veldenz, tells the Abbot of Wadgassen miot: Through the steward Georg Blicken von Lichtenberg and the old chancellor Jakob Schorren, he has learned that a contract with Wadgassen had been arranged because of the Rohrbacher and Spiesener forest, but that no agreement could be reached. He therefore suggested that each party should appoint two noblemen as trustworthy, impartial arbitrators and leave it to them to decide where, after hearing the parties, they would set the outermost landmarks. Should this also not lead to an agreement, a fifth impartial arbitrator should be called in and the majority verdict should apply.
2 September 1538
On the Monday after Aegidy, the Jahrgeding at Spieszen under der Linden was held there by Dietherich Pfeill, Probst of Saarbrücken, in the name of Mr. Kilian Heylman, Abbot of Wadgassen, and Wendelin Schaffner of Neumünster in the name of Mrs. Margarethen of Kerpen Abbtassin [abbess], so Nodarius Nicoluasz Demuth of St. Wendel.
Abbot Kilian writes to Count Johann Ludwig of Nassau and asks for advice concerning the erected Haag [area enclosed by a hedge] at Spieszen.
Heinrich Schwarz von Lichtenberg, miller in Spieszen, receives permission to build a mill under the pond in the valley under the condition that after the expiration of the right the mill is returned to the monastery of Wadgassen. The miller asks the abbot to give him the mill under hereditary lease with the right to sell it.
Abbot Lionhardt bans Mr. Georgen, whom he had recently appointed, from the church and the ministry at Spieszen because of disorderly living.
According to the "Saalbuch" [a register of the property rights of a manor and the readings of its subjects] of the abbey, Wadgassen is under ban and man at Spiesen.
List of the righteous, interests and goods which the monastery and the convent of Neumünster had annually at Spiessheim. [Just - rights, powers, permission to do something]
December 17, 1548
Margarethe von Kerpen, abbess, prioress and convent of the Neumünster monastery ceded her quarter to Count Johann von Nassau and Saarbrücken, subject to her other goods and pensions there.
The event marks the beginning of the influence of the Counts of Saarbrücken.
December 17, 1548
Johann Graf zu Nassau und Saarbrücken, Herr zu Lahr confirm the above-mentioned cession and assure the monastery of further protection and umbrella for the remaining other goods, pensions and rights in Spießen.
Hanns Diether, rent master of Ottweiler, writes to Provost Diethrich Pfeill because of a dispute with Rorbach over the bourgeois [border].
Melcher von Steinkallenfels writes to the provost on his behalf at the Abbot of Wadgassen to ask 28 trunks of timber from the forests of Spießen.
Hoff Hanss of St. Ingbert could not be accepted into serfdom on spears, so the congregation [asked] the abbot to petition for this.
According to a letter to Abbot Lionhardt, Count Johann von Nassau interferes because of the difference [dispute] between Rorbach and Spiessen.
"Already in earliest times there was a mill at the pond at Spiesen, which was owned by the miller Marcellus around 1550. At the same time the abbot of Wadgassen had allowed a certain Heinrich Schwarz to build a mill below the pond, which was to be returned to the abbey after a certain time. Close to this mill in the corner, which the Spieser Bann forms against the Rohrbacher and St. Ingberter Bann, there was a farmhouse, called the Sitzweiler Hof, whose estates were situated on the bannes of the aforementioned villages.
31st May 1554
Farewell to Spieszheim uff court concerning: Eckernieszung, issue of Brenn- and Bawholtz, wine license and ungeld, customs of the Spieszheim subjects to Limpach etc. Move to Spieszheim. This is a comparison between Saarbücken and Wadgassen as it should be kept with the subjects and otherwise.
The cartographer and mathematician Tilemann Stella produces a national survey with a detailed description of the border and maps of the entire region. The map series is completely preserved and is stored in the Imperial Archives in Stockholm.
September 8th, 1567
Elisabeth Blicken von Lichtenberg, Abbess of Neumünster, complains to the Abbot that the Meier von Spiessen, on the Abbot's order, does not want to grant her a share of the Ecker enjoyment in the forest for her ¼, which she finds very strange, as she has not yet ceded anything to the Count other than the High Court, although he has urged her very much and promised her to give something in exchange. The mayor would not give her any wood from the forest either. She asks the abbot to handle those in her old righteousness.
Visch were donated for the monastery Weyher in Spießen.
3rd March: Philipp Krebs, Keller uff Kirkel had his official Sibillam seamstress follow Wadgassen Abbey to Spießen hindered.
9th June 1573
13 April: Settlement of the border dispute at Bottenberg between Rorbach and Spieszen. After several unsuccessful site visits and attempts at conciliation, an agreement was reached at the meeting on Limbach.
1st January 1575
July 23, 1575
Introduction of the Reformation in the county of Nassau-Saarbrücken by Count Philipp III.
[supplement], Ruppersberg, p. 97
Probst Eichelberger writes a hard report to Mr. Abtt Adamen, so Ihro Grave should have given Grave Albrecht because of the rod and other bushes, also the bourgeois is banned and man for half.
1579 – 1585
Abbot Claudius had miscelebrities in skewers with Zweibrücken officials and Nassau Saarbrücken.
Turk's treasure all over the country. Because of the danger of the Turks the inhabitants have to pay a special tax. First list of heads of households in Spiesen.
Jahrgeding at Spiesen.
29th September 1586
St. Michelstag: Invasion and plundering of the village of Spieszheimb by Count Palatine Johann von Zweibrücken and Johann Heitzler, Keller zu Kirkel.
18 January 1587
Indictment of Emperor Rudolf II. against Count Palatine Johann in Zweibrücken and Johann Heitzler, Keller zu Kirckel for the aforementioned robbery. Both are summoned to the Reich Chamber Court in Speyer.
Abtt Claudius commissions the provost Eichelberger to have the woods in Spiessener Wald hewn as if by altters Holtz.
Count Albrecht von Ottweiler abolishes the Catholic parish of Spiesen. Johann Magnus Stephani from Ottweiler becomes the first Protestant pastor [Biography and origin] Stephany's direct ancestors include the printer Peter Schöffer, who printed the famous Bible together with Johannes Gutenberg. Later he improved Gutenberg's printing technique. He was married to a daughter of Johann Fust, who took over Gutenberg's printing works, which Schöffer later continued. He is considered one of the best printers of that time in all of Europe.
April 17, 1594
Petition of the abbot Claudius to count Philipp for the restoration of the old rights in Spiesen.
Spiesen belongs to the protestant parish of Wiebelskirchen.
In the "Limbach Farewell" many border disputes of the past decades between the county of Nassau-Saarbrücken and the duchy of Pfalz-Zweibrücken are settled. The location of Spiesen on the border of the domains made a new survey necessary. Some villages had fallen to the Duchy of Zweibrücken, but the inhabitants were subjects of the Saarbrücken family. These and other circumstances led to disputes again and again.
The Spieser church is closed ex officio.
Spiesen population register: 17 households with about 70 inhabitants.
Spiesen belongs to the protestant parish of Schiffweiler.
Beginning of the 30-year war.
First destruction in Spiesen, outbreak of the plague.
Contribution list of the village Spiesen. Livestock: 26 horses, 33 cows, 52 sheep, 41 carts of hay. 20 heads of households are recorded, about 80 inhabitants
Partial devastation of the Spiesen district. The damage amounts to 1745.75 Reichstaler.
Prosperity of the Ottweiler district during the partition of 1628 with parish priests, schools, meiers and subjects:
Skewers: no priest, no school, one mayor, 14 subjects (households), three widows, one guardian, one shepherd and no unmarried houses.
The plague breaks out again.
The abbot of Tholey unsuccessfully claims the monastery property of Neumünster and thus a part of Spiesen.
According to the Nassau-Saarbrückischen Genealogia books, the village of Spießen has belonged to the county of Saarbrücken and Ottweiler from time immemorial, so with serfs to the monastery Wadgassen responsible, now again completely to the office Ottweiler come.
Spiesen is finally in the possession of the Counts of Ottweiler.
Swedish occupation. Escape of the Vadgassian monks to Trier. Count Wilhelm Ludwig von Ottweiler annexes the Wadgassian possessions in Spiesen.
2nd September 1634
Building stock: Dwellings of the steward and the forester (property of the same and freed from the corvée): 2, 12 dwellings, property and not freed from the corvée, a mill belonging to the manor, a non-exempt, borrowed house, two houses belonging to widows, an uninhabited house and 2 derelict houses and farms.
Beginning of the 150-year border dispute with St. Ingbert.
July 25, 1635
Imperial lansquenets (Croats) destroy the village almost completely. In December one more household is counted.
The report of the Saarbrücken Rentmeister Klicker to the Imperial Commissioner about the conditions in the County of Ottweiler states: "In Fürth there are still two subjects living, Dörrenbach is extinct except for two little girls, Welschbach is extinct except for four subjects, Neunkirchen and Spiesen are more than half burnt down; in these places there are not more than four subjects living, Wellesweiler is almost completely extinct and partly burnt down".
1640 - 1645
Spiesen is not completely depopulated, because between 1640 and 1645 at least four children of Johannes Conrad and his wife Margarethe, who came from Spiesen, were born and registered in the Lutheran church register of Saarbrücken. The first child, Eva Maria, is born around 1640, the second child, Johann Joachim around 1642. The family has twins baptized on March 7, 1645 in Saarbrücken, as the church register reports. "First a boy whose patten true Nicklaß Conradt itzig Meyer allhir, and Seybert Stegk the Schmidt ... Goddess true Anna Maria" the widow Georg Beckers, née Nimsgern. The boy was christened "Nicklass". "Afterwards a little daughter whose stalemate was a man from Spiessen named Remmen (or Jeremiah). Goddesses Anna Margaretha, Rudolph Leyendecker's daughter and Anna Ursula, Peter Heintze, daughter of the linen weaver." The girl was named Anna Margaretha. The Conrad family left Spiesen at an unknown time, probably because no other people moved in.
The shepherd Wolf Clad, the son of Simon Clad from Baltersbach is the only inhabitant and died already on 19.4.1649. As he was considered an inhabitant, it can be assumed that he lived in Spiesen some years before 1649, where there were still some houses that were hardly destroyed. Also the tower of the church was still standing and in 1764 a hermit wanted to move in there, but he was not allowed to do so, because the tower was probably dilapidated.
Wars of Reunion of Louis XIV of France. First beginnings of a larger repopulation are destroyed by French troops.
Saarbrücken is destroyed by French troops and Count Gustav Adolf von Saarbrücken is mortally wounded at the age of 45 in the Battle of Kochersberg near Strasbourg and dies on October 9 in Strasbourg.
Louis XIV annexes the county of Ottweiler. The bishop of Metz visits the region. Only Protestants live in Ottweiler and Neunkirchen, so the Catholic parish of Ottweiler, which covers the entire county, is established by order of the Catholic King.
The catholic church register of Ommersheim reports some baptisms of families from Spiesen. (Pirot, Smith, Book)
1687: Letter of the Abbot of Wadgassen to Count Friedrich Ludwig zu Ottweiler, in which he asks him to restitute the shares belonging to the Abbey of Wadgassen at a price.
23 March 1688: Another letter from the Abbot to the Count, in which he says that his predecessors ¾ bought the Spiesen estate, including high and low jurisdiction etc., several hundred years ago, whose possessions had been taken from them at the beginning of the 17th century, which he now wants back.
23 March 1688: According to the decree of the Count, the Abbey is to be allowed to select and take possession of those properties in Spiesen, the purchase of which they could properly prove, and to receive the interest and pensions from them.
14 August 1688: The Abbey takes possession of its properties and rights in the village of Spiesen through the Huissier Marc in the presence of Nicolas Roden, canon and procurator of the Abbey, the Meier, the court and the whole community of Spiesen.
In the name of the Count, Kilian König, his secretary protests against the above seizure.
11th September 1688: The Abbot complains to the Presidential Court in Saarlouis.
25 September 1688: summons to Saarlouis. There the count gives the following reasons for his justification: 1. limitation period, since acquired through possession. 2. the Peace Treaties of Münster and Nijmegen, by which the nobles are to remain in possession of the estates they owned in 1624. 3. he had only granted the abbey the levy of 10 sols 6 den. pension.
1690: Plea for the Abbey.
Wadgassen rejects the objection of the statute of limitations because the goods were taken by force and that church property is not subject to the statute of limitations at all without a formal purchase contract. The Count could not prove that the goods had been lawfully acquired in Spiesen. Regarding the 2nd point, the abbey can prove that the count did not take the goods in Spiesen until 1631. The 3rd objection is even less tenable, since it is clear from the Count's decree that the Abbey should get back everything that it can prove with documents. An impeccable title of ownership of the Spiesen estate was contained in a purchase contract from 1295.
1691: The final decision of the presidential court decided in favor of the count.
1689: The Catholics of Spiesen belong to the parish of Ottweiler, but the first marriage from Spiesen is not registered until 1692: Hubertus Weyland and Margaretha Hess, in 1693 Ludwig Boland and Anna Clara Wasser marry.
The County of Ottweiler's 17-year-old affiliation with France is ended by the peace treaty of Rijswijk near The Hague.
A French list of names listing owners and users of meadows in Spiesen (Spice) has been preserved from that time. 11 names are mentioned, including well-known Spieser names such as Kohler and Graben.
The salt list for the village of Spiesen lists 12 households with about 51 inhabitants.
The parish affiliation of Spiesen changes. With the consent of the Count, Pastor Hoffmann von Ottweiler transfers the pastoral care to the parish of St. Ingbert, which considerably shortens the way to the service and of course the way of the pastor to his parish.
The household register of Spiesen lists 13 households with 56 inhabitants. Several old Spieser surnames are already represented: Kohler, Graves, Rammo and Dumont.
Countess Charlotte Amalie gives her subjects of the Ottweiler dominion a quarter of the front money. The household list according to the new decree contains 26 households. In the meantime the families Eich, Wachs, Normand, Houy, Wachs and Ruffing have been added.
Border treaty between the Counts of Ottweiler and the Counts of von der Leyen on the border between Spiesen and St. Ingbert
Renovation and treasure protocol, which is renovated and described in the most noble and gracious way. Included is a detailed description of the borders and bans, as well as provisions on the reduction or waiver of coronation money, description of all developed and undeveloped land, forests, waters, roads, etc.
Border regulation between Spiesen and St. Ingbert.
Border description about the Spieser village ban in 1745:
Prince Wilhelm Heinrich of Saarbrücken allows Johann Lutsch from Waldmohr and Heinrich Normand from Spiesen to build a brickworks on the Elmersberg. They are allowed to dig the clay where it is most convenient for them and sell the goods in and outside the county. "...therefore, to pay an annual interest of twenty guilders to Our Official Winery Ottweiler every mill at Martini's time, and to pay the necessary timber and firewood to their brickworks according to the price and land tax." The two entrepreneurs could not write and signed the contract with a "show of hands" in the presence of the representative of the authorities. Lutsch draws a knife-like tool, perhaps for cutting damp clay, and Normand draws a cross.
Start of construction of the new Neunkirch castle.
The carpenter Johann Nikolaus Mensch from Nahbollenbach, who was employed as a craftsman to build the castle, receives the princely permission to build a little house for his family on the Faulenberg between Kirkel and Neunkirchen. He becomes responsible for the Eschweiler Torhaus. The gatehouses were supervised by butterfly servants (Falltor) and were passages between the game fences, which were intended to prevent the passage of game between the lordships. The counts were very keen to keep the game within their own territory. Johann Nikolaus Mensch descendants stayed on the Faulenberg and the Faulenberger Hof eventually became "Menschenhütt" and "Menschenhaus" as it is still called today. In 1771, the banned description reads: "Hofgering on the Faulenberg: a hut, barn, stable and Hofgering with garden and farmland".
Boundary stones are set along the border between the county of Blieskastel, Nassau-Saarbrücken and Pfalz-Zweibrücken.
The hunter Friedrich Altpeter lives at the Spieser Ziegelhütte Ellmersberg.
border disputes with Rohrbach and St. Ingbert.
Border regulation between Spiesen and St. Ingbert.
Spiesen belongs to the Oberamt Ottweiler and is described as follows: "Neunkirchen with the villages of Neunkirchen, Spiesen and Wellesweiler, the Furpacher Hof and the Kohlhof each with a sheep farm, the Jägerhaus on the Spieser Höhe as well as a castle, a stately farm, a sheep farm and a mill, the old and new ironworks with iron hammer in Neunkirchen, a mill in Spiesen, two farms, a sheep farm, a mill with a coal house in Wellesweiler as well as the Sinnerthaler Gut with Sähmühle.“
Measurement and ban protocol of the village Spiesen. After 1740 a further survey and description of the entire ban and the borders was carried out.
Philipp Bartz buys his share in the "Elmersberg" brickworks from the brickmaker Holweck.
Although the Catholics in Spiesen are the largest denominational group, they are denied the establishment of their own school.
The "gemeine Rechnung" of the village of Spiesen is a list of inhabitants which is kept by Heimeier Christian Rameau and lists the heads of household.
The first Jewish families receive a letter of protection from the sovereign prince and permission to settle in Spiesen. They are Calmen (Solomon) David (from 1808 Lion) and Joseph David (from 1808 August). The note about the permission can be found in the "Collectanea Saraepontana" of the Saarbrücken government councilor Friedrich Rollé. 1789 Lazarus Alexander also receives a letter of protection. The first Jews were allowed to settle in Neunkirchen in 1777 and in Ottweiler in 1778.
The outbreak of the French Revolution had an impact on the lords and masters of the Saar, who initially felt safe because of their Francophile attitude. But the increasingly radical measures taken by the revolutionaries and the European coalition against France put pressure on the territorial rulers of the region.
"... the sovereign decreed by decree of 16.7.1790 that the dairies of Neunkirchen, Bexbach and Wiebelskirchen were to be combined to form the Schultheißerei Neunkirchen. The Schultheißenstelle endowed with 242 guldens was transferred to the Schultheiß of St. Arnual Friedrich Heß. Hess took up his office on 2.8.1790. The previous three Meier (e.g. Johann Adam Schäfer of Neunkirchen) and the Büttel of Niederbexbach and Wiebelskirchen were relieved of their offices and a new Büttelstelle was created in Neunkirchen with the official title "Gerichtsdiener" (court usher).
A decisive year for the Saar region, as the three regional rulers in Blieskastel, Saarbrücken and Zweibrücken were dissolved by the French and their rulers expelled. The Count of Saarbrücken had previously tried to prevent revolutionary feelings among his subjects by making concessions: Abolition of the hunting fronts, reduction of the frontier money by half and abolition of serfdom.
21 July 1793: Revolutionary troops under General Houchard, who comes from Forbach and ends up on the guillotine in Paris in 1793 because of alleged military errors. General Custine, who was also active in our region, suffered the same fate.
"On September 12, 1793, the enemy attacked with superior force the position occupied by two Prussian corps at Spiessen (in Prussia). The Austrian colonel of Szekuli, whose Escadrons were directed to the orders of the Prussian general Count of Kalckreuth, and to whom the Saxon hussars were also subordinate, laid in an ambush in time, and when strong enemy infantry columns moved against the forest of Neunkirchen, the Escadrons broke forward and threw back the enemy, who had fallen into disorder. French infantry, 200 men, had reached the forest and gathered there, when suddenly, without waiting for the order to do so, from the furthest forward Saxon hussar section, the Prime Lieutenant von Lindenau, adjutant to Major General von Gersdorff, who had joined them, the sous lieutenant of Lindenau of the escadron of Gutschmid as well as two more officers and 25 men jumped off the horses, and, in one hand the sabre, in the other the pistol, entered the forest, went boldly to meet the enemy infantry, and after fierce battle made 4 officers and 75 men prisoners.“
During the fights in the region, Spiesen as well as the surrounding villages are repeatedly affected by troop movements and fighting. As far as possible, the population stays in their houses and does not move away from the village.
On 17.11.1793 there is a battle near Biesingen, which the French under General Lazare Hoche can win. Prussia and Austria retreat. The losses of the French are about 900 to 1000 men, those of the Prussians are with about 100 men much lower.
13th September 1794
Another French attack up to the Spieser Höhe. On the same day the Prussians under the Duke of Brunswick advance. The French are beaten back to St. Ingbert and lose 4000 men and 20 cannons. Blücher forms a chain of sentries Rohrbach - Spiesen - Wayside Shrine and advances with his regiment of hussars to Saarbrücken.
From December 1795 the region is largely safe in French hands. The People's Representative Becker is sent from Paris to the region to investigate the deeds of the French War Commissioners, who had enriched themselves unscrupulously and were blamed for countless crimes. Becker writes: "The churches of all confessions have been emptied of their gold and silver vessels, their ornaments and linen utensils. The bells, clocks, organs, the ironworks [in St. Ingbert], the lead on the windows, even the ironworks in the private houses, even the locks on the doors have been taken away and demolished; the most precious furniture, the wines, spirits, grain and all kinds of livestock, the number of which cannot be calculated, have been or are said to have been sent to the Centralcommission in Landau. The atrocities committed by the Revolutionary forces are "without precedent among civilized nations." It is clear to the government in Paris that the population will show no sympathy for the Revolution in this treatment.
The mining company Compagnie Equer leases the Saarland mines. It re-introduces the municipal entitlement coals and founds the miners' fund in place of the old Bruderbüchsen. [Social security funds, forerunner of the Saar miners' guild]
The teacher and sexton Johann Georg Bauer (* 2.3.1759 Wiesviller + 16.4.1840 Spiesen) comes to Spiesen around 1798, after having worked as a teacher in various places before. He came from Bliesbrück and was the son of the teacher Johann Georg Bauer and Anna Maria Erminger. Since the Catholic Church had been destroyed since the 30-year war and Spiesen no longer had a parish church, Bauer decided - first with the help of the school youth - and then with the support of the community to build a new church. Donations were collected and reached Spiesen from near and far. Johann Christian Gräber, born in Spiesen, captain of the French army sent money from Metz and the Jewish families donated money for a new Catholic church.
The new parish church is officially inaugurated on August 25th, after the first baptism was recorded in the first Catholic church register of Spiesen on December 29th, 1799. The first person baptized was Johann Nicolaus Wittling, the son of Johannes Wittling and Katharina Schuhmacher. The church is consecrated to the French king Louis IX, who is known as Louis the Saint (Saint Louis).
Peace of Lunéville: The Rhine becomes the French border and the areas on the left bank of the Rhine become French departments. Spiesen belongs to the Departement de la Sarre and is located in the Canton Ottweiler.
3 December 1801: By the concordat between Pope Pius V and Napoleon, Spiesen is separated from the diocese of Metz and assigned to the diocese of Trier.
Spiesen becomes Sukkursal parish, a sub-parish which is subordinated to a cantonal parish (Ottweiler). In the same year the construction of a parsonage begins. The first parish priests were mostly fathers and only stayed for a short time.
Serenus Schmückler, Franciscan (until November 1800), Salustianus Neurohr, Franciscan (until 1803), Fridericus Haupricht (until mid August 1803), Franciscus Brixius, Franciscan (1805), L. Garohs (until 1806), Antonius Jentes, the first priest who stayed longer in Spiesen and died in Spiesen in 1814.
Dissolution of the German Empire. Foundation of the Rhine Confederation by Napoleon.
From 1801 onwards, conscription, military service, was valid in Spiesen and many young men served more or less voluntarily in the Napoleonic army. The conscription did not affect everyone, because the number of recruits was based on the number of inhabitants. If there were too many candidates, a lottery was held. One way to avoid military service was to find a substitute, but he had to be paid. This regulation did not apply to Jews, although they were equal to all other citizens by law. The soldiers from Spiesen were used on all theatres of war from Spain to Russia.
Napoleonic name legislation for the Jews who do not yet have a fixed family name. Families must register a surname of their choice at the registry office. The family of Calmen David is henceforth called Lion, that of Joseph David is called August.
New construction of the Spieser Mill.
1814 - 1815
Advance of Field Marshal Blüchers with Prussian and Russian troops through Spiesen.
While the coalition troops try to defeat Napoleon, many men from the region fight in the French army against their "liberators".
At the Congress of Vienna the reorganization of Europe is decided and the victors over the Corsican divide many former French territories among themselves. Spiesen, with the largest part of today's Saarland, falls to Prussia, the Saar-Palatinate goes - also for historical reasons - to Bavaria and the area of St. Wendel to Oldenburg.
The district of Ottweiler is created, to which Spiesen belongs. Trier is the seat of the administrative district.
1820 - 1821
The burial of the dead around the church is stopped due to lack of space. Spiesen now has over 500 inhabitants. The cemetery is moved to the Mühlental and in 1821 a chapel is built dedicated to St. Anna. (1827)
Through the papal bull "de salute animanum" Spiesen finally comes to the diocese of Trier after a long wait.
The official gazette of the Royal Prussian Government of Trier reports that Daniel Bolz, son of the forester of Elversberg, has received 12 Taler reward for shooting down an old she-wolf. The wolves were regarded as pests, because they occasionally tore the cattle of the farmers. Because of the shooting premiums and the intensive hunting the wolves were exterminated in the Saar area until 1900.
The Jewish deceased were buried at the Jewish cemetery in Illingen until 1832, but the growth of the Jewish communities in Neunkirchen and Spiesen led to the establishment of a separate cemetery at Spieser Höhe: "To the head of the Israelite community at Spiesen, Isaac Victor You are hereby informed that by virtue of the royal district council of the 28th of this month no. 1679, the intended construction of a Jewish cemetery at the height between Spiesen and Neunkirchen is approved for the latter communities. Therefore the Jewish community can start the construction of the churchyard without hesitation. Neunkirchen, January 3rd, 1832."
To Spiesen belong in 1832: Spiesermühle (2 dwelling-houses, 24 inhabitants - 3 Catholic and 21 Protestant), Elversberg (3 dwelling-houses, 22 inhabitants - 8 Catholic and 14 Protestant), Faulenberg, called Menschenhaus (3 dwelling-houses - 21 inhabitants - 15 Protestant and 6 Lutheran), in Spiesen itself there are 118 dwelling-houses, 740 inhabitants (561 Catholic, 120 Protestant and 59 Jewish).
Jewish cattle dealer Theobald Lion enlarges and alters his house and decorates the lintel with his initials TL.
The iron ore gallery "Karl am Elversberge" is driven.
1 May 1837: Laying of the foundation stone of the Schmalwiesschulhaus. From 27th November school operations are started.
July 12, 1847
In the Holzhauertal valley, a tunnel is being excavated with a staff of 11 men, which is named "Heinitzstollen" after the Prussian minister Baron von Heinitz (1725 - 1802) and will provide work and bread for thousands of miners for 115 years. In 1962 the Heinitz mine was closed down, which was of great importance especially for the miners from Spiesen and Elversberg.
On Elversberg there is only a forester's house, a former gatekeeper's house and the brickworks. Altogether about 30 people live there. In 1852 there are about 40.
The municipality of Spiesen has 869 inhabitants, among them 76 Jews, whose number reaches a peak in the history of Spiesen. 8.74% of the population are Jews. For comparison: In 1925, 0.42% of the population is Jewish, out of a total of 5182 inhabitants.
Heinitz railway connection, whereby the main focus is on the transport of coal.
The Heinitz mine becomes independent.
1852 - 1854
On the Elversberg the first sleeping house for miners is built.
Miners from Hesse, Thuringia, the Harz Mountains, Bohemia and other regions are recruited. Many workers come from the Palatinate, the Hunsrück and the northern Saarland to find work in the coal and steel industry. Spiesen and Elversberg grow very fast and the former neighbouring villages Neunkirchen and St. Ingbert soon become towns.
Those who want to settle in Spiesen have to pay a relocation fee to the municipality, which means that most of the newcomers stay in Elversberg.
1854: 400 miners move into the sleeping house in Elversberg.
Kurt Hoppstädter writes about Elversberg: "A colony of miners founded in 1852, which was separated from Spiesen by the cabinet order of 13.4.1872 and raised to an independent community by various pieces from the ban of Neunkirchen. In the 18th century there was only a gatehouse of the princely game preserve, which was also the forester's house. 1774 Field name "auf dem Elmersberg", which is derived from Old High German "elm", Middle High German "ilm" = elm. Name in the official spelling in Elversberg verbally horned, while the population still correctly says "Elmerschberg" to this day.
1856 - 1861
Eight houses were built in Elversberg, six in 1857 and fifteen in 1858. After that the number of inhabitants rises steeply and in 1861 there are already 138 houses with 959 inhabitants. In 1860 a gymnastics club is founded in Elversberg and the "Kolonie Elversberg" develops into a community.
Friedrich Wilhelm Hoppstädter is the village leader in Spiesen from 1860 - 1874.
The Spiesen post office is opened.
A time of economic prosperity. The number of miners has quintupled and the coal production is eight times as high as in 1849.
A consumer association is founded.
Foundation of the protestant parish of Elversberg, to which the protestant Spieser also belong. The Catholics all belong to the parish in Spiesen. Before that the Protestants belonged to Neunkirchen.
In Elversberg, the miners' guild founded a school for small children. The number of handicraft enterprises, associations and other institutions in Elversberg increases.
July 3rd, 1869
The Prussian King Wilhelm I proclaims the final equality of Jewish citizens: "Only article: All remaining restrictions on civil and civic rights derived from the diversity of religious confession are hereby abolished. In particular, the ability to participate in municipal and state representation and to hold public office shall be independent of religious confession" Theobald experienced equality with other citizens shortly before his death. He was born under the Count of Nassau-Saarbrücken. The Jews in Spiesen were already represented in the municipal council before the law and their disproportionate commitment to the community can be proven up to the 20th century. Some Jewish citizens were repeatedly elected to various committees.
New construction of the cemetery at Kahlenkopf (today Gänsbergfriedhof).
1870 - 1871
Franco-Prussian War. The battle of Spicheren in August 1870 is the first major conflict of this war and a military hospital is established in Elversberg. At the Elversberg cemetery in Neunkircherstraße there are war graves from the war.
April 13, 1872
King Wilhelm I. of Prussia, despite the resistance of the Spieser municipal council, gives up the independence as an independent municipality by decree of the former "Colonie Elversberg" and separates the ban areas necessary for this from Neunkirchen and Spiesen.
In 1872 Elversberg already has 2074 inhabitants.
The municipal council of Spiesen had already vehemently opposed the independence of Elversberg from 1861 on.
The old church in Spiesen has become too small and it is decided to build a larger one on the same site, but there is not enough money, so that at first only a temporary solution is built, consisting of the old church and the new one.
1877 - 1879
Foundation of the voluntary fire brigade Elversberg.
1879 local chief Raber von Spiesen tries to establish a voluntary fire brigade in Spiesen, which is finally founded in 1884.
This year Elversberg (2762) has for the first time more inhabitants than Spiesen (2734).
Spiesen becomes an independent Catholic parish.
1885 - 1888
The provisional church in Spiesen is finished and the new church continues to be built.
1887 the new St. Ludwig's church is consecrated.
1887: The Reichspostagentur in Elversberg is established.
1888: The gymnastics club is founded in Spiesen.
In 1888, the year of the Three Emperors, King Wilhelm I dies, followed by his son Friedrich Wilhelm, who ascends the throne as Friedrich III and also dies a few months later. His son Frederick William becomes emperor on the same day as William II.
There is a miners' strike, in the consequence of which miners are dismissed at the Heinitz and Dechen pits.
Consecration of the protestant church in Elversberg. The master builder Carl Friedrich Müller, who also built the catholic church in Spiesen, does not live to see the consecration anymore, because he dies in Hersfeld on 1.8.1889.
Construction of the Peter-Schulhaus in Spiesen.
Foundation of the Spiesen-Elversberger Spar- und Darlehenskasse by Pastor Kollmann, teacher Schnur and Messrs Klein, Fuß, Denne, Braun and Kohler.
The municipality of Friedrichsthal buys large parts of the Spiesermühle site to build a waterworks
Construction of the Friedrichsthaler waterworks in the Mühlental valley above the Kaiser-Wilhelm spring.
Spiesen is supplied with water from the Friedrichsthaler waterworks and the public wells in Spiesen are shut down by official announcement.
13th October 1901
The Catholic Sacred Heart Church in Elversberg is consecrated and consecrated by Bishop Michael Felix Korum on July 25, 1903.
Construction of the Spieser gasworks in the Hintereck and introduction of gas lighting in the village.
The Friedrich School in Elversberg is built.
Construction of the Mittelberg school in Spiesen.
The catholic parish of Elversberg is formed.
Foundation of the sports club Borussia Spiesen as well as the male choral society, the wrestling club AC Deutsche Eiche and the shooting club Ruhig Blut.
Foundation of the Spiesen fruit and horticultural association.
Foundation of a warrior association for reservists.
Foundation of the "Centre" in Spiesen
Beginning of the 1st World War, convocation of many reservists from Spiesen and Elversberg, enthusiasm for the war, because people believe that it is a war like 1870/71, which will end in a few months with a victory for Germany.
The first car in Elversberg belongs to Dr. Trittelvitz, has 12 HP and belongs to the brand "Wanderer". It is said to have been 65 km fast. (HK 1979, p. 50f) PICTURE
Delivery of the church bells according to the motto "Bells to cannons". Foundation of the SPD local group Elversberg,
Foundation of the Reichsbund of war victims, disabled persons, social pensioners and surviving dependants.
End of the 1st world war, flight of the emperor, uprisings and the suffering of the bereaved. 361 soldiers from Spiesen (174) and Elversberg (187) died in the 1st World War and many more were wounded.
Treaty of Versailles, which imposes on Germany the sole responsibility for the war and large reparations payments.
Düpre fashion house in Elversberg.
The first car in Spiesen belongs to the Köhlhofer family, who "bought it at an auction in Zweibrücken from army stocks of the 1st World War". (HK 1979, P. 44 PICTURE)
The Saar region is created.
The carrier pigeon association "Tempo" is founded.
The first cinemas, Lichtspieltheater Kohler and Alexander-Lichtspiele open. The silent films are still accompanied "live" on the piano.
Spiesen and Elversberg leave the mayoralty association of Neunkirchen and form their own mayoralty with seat in Spiesen.
The French currency becomes the sole means of payment (1 franc equals 4875 marks and on 15 November 1 franc equals 138 billion marks)
Introduction of electric power supply. Commissioning of the Spiesen-Friedrichsthal-Saarbrücken tram line.
Construction of the Spiesen-Neunkirchen tram line.
Herges filling station in the main street of Spiesen.
Protestant parish hall is built in Elversberg.
Foundation of the DRK local association Spiesen.
Kneipp Club Elversberg
Peter Schmitt (* 3.3.1887 Pachten (Dillingen) + 30.4.1931 Spiesen) was pastor in Spiesen from 1924 to 1931. 1927/ 28 the first large renovation of the St. Ludwigskirche took place in his term of office. He was a promoter and supporter of the DJK sports field on the Mittelberg. As an opponent of the National Socialists he never missed an opportunity to attack them. In September 1930 he challenged the Nazis in a sermon, saying: "Beat the swastikas with clubs out to the village." The answer was not long in coming and the NSDAP local group Spiesen distributed a leaflet which said: "Even this Pastor Schmidt [sic] von Spiesen will not be able to stop the National Socialist avalanche, which sweeps over more and more parts of the people every hour. Therefore, comrades of the people, give the right answer to this little pastor with his great conceit of power. The text of the leaflet contains, in addition to the already common denigration of Jews and opponents of the Nazi regime, an attempt to stylize themselves as victims of those who wanted to expel, oppress and destroy them.
Unfortunately, Schmitt could not continue his fight against the Nazis and died already in 1931 at the age of only 44 years. In the following year a monument was built in his honour on the DJK sports field. As a late revenge on their opponent, the National Socialist administration had the monument moved from the centre of the village to the corner of the church in 1940, where it still stands today.
The first sound film is shown at the Alexanderlichtspiele Spiesen.
The entertainment association "Jäbs Buwe" is founded.
petrol station Olex in Elversberg
Hitler becomes Reich Chancellor and the people of the Saarland can follow the political development in the German Reich from the Saarland.
The car transport companies Alois Gräber and Jakob Recktenwald and Friedrich Mootz in Elversberg are founded.
The Spiesen local history association is founded.
Construction of the town hall in the Neunkircher Straße.
The Jews in Spiesen, some of whose families had lived in Spiesen since the end of the 18th century, begin to sell their property in order to be able to leave their homeland quickly after the vote, the result of which would have handed them over to Hitler's Germany.
Likewise, many opponents of Hitler prepare to flee, fearing arrest. In Spiesen and Elversberg there are opponents of the regime who had fled from the German Reich in 1933 and are fighting against the annexation of the Saarland.
First Saar vote, the overall result in Saarland: 8.84% vote for the retention of the current legal system (status quo), 0.4% for unification with France and 90.76% for unification with Germany.
Of the 8918 voters in Spiesen and Elversberg, 768 (8.61%) voted for the status quo, 8 (0.09%) for France and 8142 (91.3%) for Germany.
In the days leading up to the vote, rallies are held by the German front. Separatist miners distribute leaflets along the mine road between Heinitz and Elversberg.
On January 13, the evening of the vote, there will be a torchlight procession in Spiesen and a ceremony at the Hindenburg memorial (junction of Rohrbacherstrasse), where the local group leader of the NSDAP will give a speech.
The Lord Mayor of Duisburg, Just Dillgardt, born in Elversberg, congratulates Mayor Heinrich.
On January 17, all of Elversberg is decorated with giant swastikas, which are hung at the highest points. A torchlight procession marches to Hindenburgplatz.
One day later, the first citizens "emigrate", or rather flee the country.
30.1.35: In the evening two straw dolls hanging from a gallows are burned. The Nazi formations that have joined the fire sing the text: Soldier-comrades, hang the sh. - put Kr. on the wall. This is an anticipation of what the political opponent will get.
The new municipal code according to the "Führerprinzip" is introduced.
5.2.35: Some streets are renamed: Horst-Wessel-Str., Albert-Leo-Schlageter-Str., Hermann-Göring-Str. and Mayor Heinrich sends a telegram of devotion to Hitler.
In addition to many "Reintegration Celebrations", a "Liberation Oak" is planted at the edge of the Nassenwald forest and a "Hitler Linden" is planted at the entrance to the Schlangen Valley.
Pastor Koll celebrates his 25th anniversary as a priest in Elversberg.
The Singers' Association is founded in Spiesen, under the leadership of Johann Rheinheimer.
The Gallinger complex in the Marienwäldchen is expanded. A new market place is created behind the community square in Spiesen.
In return, the Jewish Meyer family, under pressure from the community, had to sell their land at far below value. After the war, the community initially refused to pay the purchase price. In the minutes of 10.6.1948 it says: "The Meyer brothers, through their lawyer, demand the restitution of the land sold to the community in 1935 in accordance with decree no. 120 of the military government of 10 December 1947. The application was rejected unanimously.". (Dornen, p. 141, Gemeindearchiv Nachlass Geischer) Only the pressure of the restitution chamber in Saarbrücken led to a settlement and a payment by the municipality: " The municipal council unanimously agrees to the settlement and the assumption of the legal costs." (loc. cit.)
The composition of the municipal council from different parties is "unacceptable", the mayor stated. The faction of the German Front was now looking after all interests. It is decided to extend the Adolf-Hitler-Straße (former and present: Hauptstraße) from the Hindenburg Monument to the Hungerpfuhl.
On April 9th, a parents' evening of the Hitler Youth takes place in the hall Buchheit. Scharführer Heberle speaks. In the same hall the NSDAP local group Spiesen is founded.
On Hitler's birthday (20.4.) the official foundation stone of the Galgenbergturm is laid, which was initially to be called Hindenburgturm, but is now renamed "Adolf-Hitler-Turm" in honour of the "Führer".
19.6. The miner Matthias S. from Spiesen is taken into protective custody as a former status quo supporter. The persecution of dissidents slowly takes shape.
In August, the NSDAP holds a training evening. Party comrade Rudolf from Neunkirchen speaks on the subject: "Without a solution to the Jewish question, there can be no solution to the social question". The agitation against the Jews permeates all areas of life.
The Saar- und Blieszeitung newspaper "Zigeuner" asks the appropriate question: "When will our Heimatgaue finally be cleansed of these foreign bodies?
An event in Elversberg is to remind the women of their duties in the Nazi state: "The task of the National Socialist woman" - for example, she should only buy goods in German shops.
Hermann Göring visits Spiesen and the surrounding area. On his drive through the town he is celebrated by enthusiastic supporters.
Pastor Schmitt's successor Jakob Didas (* 1886 Bilsdorf + 1965 Kloster Himmerod) and his chaplain Alois Woll (* 5.5.1909 Wemmetsweiler + 18.11.1984 Schillingen) were also opponents of the Nazis. During an absence of Pastor Didas Woll was supposed to be arrested on 5.7.1935, but the Catholics in Spiesen learned of this intention and after the church bells rang a large crowd gathered in front of the church and thwarted the arrest of the chaplain by their presence. On 19.10.35 the trial against "ringleaders" of the action, who had been sentenced to smaller punishments, took place before the Court of Aldermen in Neunkirchen. They had to spend several days in prison before the trial. Some of them had to suffer from the reprisals of local party officials until the end of the Nazi era. In 1935, the Nazi oppression system in Saarland had not yet been so efficiently organized and the key positions had not yet all been occupied by Nazis, so that this protest action was still possible at all and those affected got off relatively lightly. This story of Catholic resistance against the Nazi dictatorship has been told again and again since then and contains, in addition to different names, different processes and evaluations.
On 26.8.1935 a break-in at the synagogue in Spiesen is reported and recorded by the police in Spiesen. Six Torah scrolls and silverware are said to have been stolen. Torn books are found on the rubble, which were disposed of by community workers there. The burglary and the thefts are never conclusively clarified, but there is evidence pointing to an anti-Semitic attitude. The perpetrators want to make their attitude clear by presenting themselves as loyal followers of the Nazis. The Gestapostelle Neunkirchen suspects a fictitious burglary and the last Jews Spiesen are discredited.
"The last Jews left Spiesen on February 10, 1936, and they were the "Mamschen" sisters Rebekka, Sarah Franziska, Flora and Delfine Meyer, who were very popular in Spiesen, the youngest of whom was 61 years old and the oldest 72. They went to Echternach and they were not allowed to decide peacefully on their life in their little house, because Sarah died the same year in Luxembourg and her three other sisters were gassed in Auschwitz in 1943.
On 31 March 1936 Spiesen-Elversberg is the first municipality (non-urban municipal corporation) to be awarded a coat of arms. Before that only towns were entitled to bear a coat of arms.
Description: "Divided by silver and black by a flat point; above a red rose growing on a green stem with two leaves with golden seeds and green sepals, accompanied by two growing green ears of corn; below a golden miner's lamp with silver glass, accompanied by two golden cloverleaf foot-pointed crosses.". The design is by the heraldist Dr. Otfried Neubecker and contains historical symbolism:
"The silver-black shield division symbolized Spiesen and Elversberg as two places with at that time predominant mining population, which earned their bread underground (black hill with miner's lamp), beside it however still above the earth in the daylight (silver field with ears of corn) pursued agriculture. The rose, taken from the convent seal of Wadgassen Abbey, stood for the territorial dominion of this monastery, but also of Neumünster Abbey, and the two crosses, taken from the coat of arms of the Counts of Saarbrücken-Commercy, stood for the territorial dominion of this count's house over the territories of Spiesen and Elversberg in the Middle Ages".
The Ruhbach Valley is placed under nature conservation.
Piping of the Mutterbach in the Rohrbacherstraße.
The Pimpfenbrunnen in the Rohrbacherstraße is being built.
The old gas lamps are removed from the Spieser Street.
Body shop Leo Gergen on the Spiesermühle is founded, as is Transporte Jakob Rammo.
In Elversberg the construction of a new school building is started in spring.
The Spiesen-Rohrbach link road is expanded.
The new gymnasium building on the Kaiserlinde is nearing completion.
The first Volkswagen can be ordered from the plants (Saargruben, Neunkircher Eisenwerk, etc.).
Many workers from Spiesen are involved in the construction of the Westwall. In the Rödgestal three bunkers are finished, which are not to serve as battle bunkers but as supply bunkers.
On September 1st, World War II begins. In the Adolf-Hitler-Str. 89 (Hauptstraße) Maria König, née Werth, is killed on this day by a quartered soldier's horse. She leaves behind three children, Hilde, Anna and Oswald as well as her husband Johann König.
The Elversberg brickworks, which had belonged to the mining administration since 1918 and had been in operation since the 1770s, ceases production.
197 women from Elversberg with many children and 166 women from Spiesen receive the "Honour Cross of the German Mother", in bronze, silver or gold, depending on the number of children
The Lord Mayor of Essen and SS-Standartenführer Just Dillgardt, who was born in Elversberg in 1889, is awarded honorary citizenship in Elversberg. This has not been withdrawn from him until today.
In Spiesen, the Haberdell is occupied by the last settlers.
In August gas masks can be collected Wednesdays and Saturdays in the "Brown House" in Spiesen.
Many men receive their orders to join the Wehrmacht.
The gas works in Spiesen no longer produces gas and is converted into a building yard for the community.
All boys and girls from the age of 10 years on should be able to be conscripted into service in the future.
First potato beetle hunt in Spiesen. Special allocation of 62.5g of cheese per helper, mostly recruited from children and older people.
Prof. Kloevekorn speaks in Neunkirchen on the subject: "Jews - gravediggers of the people". The lecture is part of the Nazi strategy to defame Jewish fellow men and to gain the approval and support of the population for the suppression measures against the Jews. Many of these lectures are held in companies, schools and other institutions, and participation is compulsory.
The "forced de-Jewification" of forest and landed property is part of the government's expropriation program.
The pressure on the people will continue to increase. Minimal offences will be punished drastically. There are arrests for passing on English leaflets. Two women from Spiesen and Elversberg are sent to the Brauweiler labour camp.
The Nazis close the Catholic kindergarten.
Four citizens who listened to enemy radio stations were sentenced to prison terms of two to four years.
A Nazi Party rally is held at the Kräber restaurant in Elversberg. The title of the rally is "Führer befiehl, wir folgen".
The war losses increase and many families in Spiesen and Elversberg have to mourn the death of a family member. Due to the air superiority of the Allies, there are frequent air alarms, low-flying aircraft bombard civilians and many families build temporary bunkers near their homes.
The Friedrichsthal waterworks is shut down, becomes the property of the Saar mines with all drilling and rights and is dismantled.
The Braun Castle in Elversberg burns down. It was intended for a new post office.
Elversberg celebrates its 70th anniversary as an independent municipality
Heinrich Konrath, a native of Elversberg, is sentenced to death by the People's Court in Berlin for alleged "preparation for high treason in connection with aiding and abetting treason against the state" and executed in Stuttgart on September 15. Heinrich Konrath was a resistance fighter and a member of the KPD.
The company WILKAPATENT comes to Spiesen and initially produces goods for the war.
The "total war" leads to ever greater restrictions in people's lives: Longer working hours, younger and older men being drafted into the Wehrmacht, all public events of "non-warlike character" such as theatre, exhibitions, music events are prohibited.
One of the Wehrmacht's main association places is moved from St. Ingbert to Spiesen.
From 15-19.3. the Americans launch random barrage fire on Spiesen and Elversberg. There are 8 dead and many injured.
The anti-tank barriers made of tree trunks in Spiesen and Elversberg on the roads to St. Ingbert are dismantled.
On 20/21 March the war for our village ends with the arrival of the Americans. The American military administration is set up and employs blameless citizens for civil communities. For a short time Hermann Trittelvitz from Elversberg becomes acting mayor. The Americans set up an internment camp in the Binsental valley near Heinitz. Arrests follow, some are arrested on the basis of denunciations.
On April 6th, 1945, according to a report from the military administration, a person with the curious name Count Lorenz von Valder Brasserwitz is arrested for possession of firearms. The American Captain Stanley R. Jacobs reports on 22.4.45: "The population seems - on the face of it - to accept the occupation peacefully and continues to remain obedient and orderly. On April 30th, he writes in the diary of the military administration: "The black market in the district of Ottweiler - St. Wendel consists primarily of barter, since the public has little confidence in the future of the Mark, which was issued by the German government."
On May 8, the war in Europe ends with the unconditional capitulation of the Wehrmacht. 12 years - in Saarland 10 years - of dictatorship with millions of victims are over.
In July, the French military government takes over the Saarland from the Americans.
On October 1st, classes resume in Elversberg. The schools cannot be used, so the children are taught in adjoining rooms of guest houses.
The first prisoners of war report back to the community.
Everything that reminds of or is connected with the Nazi era will be torn down or renamed: The drummer and the rune on the Pimpfenbrunnen, the bust and the inscription of the Hindenburg monument will be removed and the streets of the 1000 year Reich will be renamed, as well as the Adolf Hitler Tower, which is now called Galgenbergturm.
Whether the "Adolf Hitler lime tree" and the "Liberation Oak" were felled, is unknown. But probably the trees - now politically unencumbered - were allowed to grow further.
At least 19 Jewish fellow men, who were born in Spiesen or had lived here for a long time, had been murdered in the Nazi camps with 48 of their closest family members.
Approximately 750 war dead and missing in Spiesen and Elversberg In addition there are many men, women and children who were injured in body and soul and whose suffering is not recorded in any statistics.
A CVP (Christian People's Party) local group is founded in Spiesen.
VDK (Association of War Victims) Spiesen founded.
The Kolping Family Spiesen is founded.
Foundation of the Federal Republic of Germany. For the people of the Saarland, across the border is still the "Reich" a long time later).
Franz Becker is re-elected as mayor of Elversberg. In Spiesen, incumbent Nikolaus Noll is also re-elected.
The Galgenbergturm is reopened. Life after the war gradually returns to normal, although the supply problems still persist and many families still hope for a reunion with missing or captured family members.
The settlers' association "Eigenhilfe" in Elversberg builds the first house.
The old smithy in Rohrbacherstrasse is demolished.
Foundation of a St. George scout group in Spiesen.
Albert Steinmetz founds the company Stahl- und Maschinenbau Steinmetz and Norbert Busch opens the car rental and car repair Busch in the Elversberger Straße
Foundation of the Evangelical Lutheran parish Spiesen-Elversberg-Heinitz.
Willi Glössner opens his insurance office.
In Elversberg the 100th anniversary is celebrated and at the same time the fire brigade celebrates 75 years. A big parade reminds of the past.
Ground-breaking ceremony for the construction of the monastery in Elversberg.
In Elversberg, construction of the new school building (Pestalozzi school) begins.
In Spiesen the St. Ludwig church is being renovated.
The heraldist and historian Kurt Hoppstädter from Saarland designs a coat of arms for the municipality: "In red a golden lace covered with a crowned red lion, accompanied by two continuous golden crosses.
"The coat of arms "symbolizes with the lace the name of the town. The all red lion in the golden field is the coat of arms of the first Counts of Saarbrücken and indicates that Spiesen belonged to the County of Saarbrücken for several centuries. The two monasteries of Wadgassen and Neumünster, which had important property and rights in Spiesen and therefore had a decisive influence on the fate of the village, are symbolized by the two crosses.". Because the golden colour behind the lion often appears yellow in print, it is interpreted as the background of Spiesen, as yellow sand.
The 750th anniversary celebration, which could not take place in 1945 because of the war, will be made up for with a large historical procession.
The cemetery hall on the Gänsberg is completed.
The 32-year-old Robert Hans from Elversberg comes home from Russia after 10 years as a prisoner of war.
The Elversberg garbage collection replaces its horse cart with a truck.
Foundation of the carnival club Alleh-Hopp and the carrier pigeon club "Wiederkehr" in Spiesen and the chess club Elversberg.
In Elversberg the "Theaterverein 1946" is founded as successor of the cultural community.
The protestant kindergarten at Hirschberg in Elversberg is inaugurated.
The Pestalozzi school in Elversberg is inaugurated
On the Kellerberg in Spiesen, the construction of residential buildings begins.
Laying of the foundation stone of the protestant community centre in Bethel Street.
Second Saar vote in which the accession to the FRG is voted for.
The CDU local branch in Spiesen is formed.
Inauguration of the Lutheran-Protestant St. Martin's Church in Elversberger Street.
In Spiesen, the new fire brigade tool shed at Peterschulhaus is inaugurated.
Raiffeisenbank Spiesen celebrates its 60th anniversary.
Reestablishment of DJK Elversberg. Rector Engert hands over the old flag, which had been walled in the high altar of the church in 1935 by him and Pastor Koll, to protect it from confiscation by the National Socialists.
Topping-out ceremony for the Großenbruch sewage treatment plant.
Political annexation of the Saarland to the Federal Republic of Germany.
Reforestation measures on the Galgenberg, which thereby receives its present appearance.
In Spiesen, the local council decides to build a new schoolhouse on the Mittelberg for 100 million francs.
The settlers' cooperative "Eigenhilfe" has already built 154 houses in Elversberg.
The Marienkapelle in the Mühlental is demolished and later replaced by a modern chapel, which is criticised by many for its modern architecture.
The development plan for Haberdell and Kellerberg is approved by the Spiesen municipal council and the Elversberg council decides to build a fire brigade equipment store on the site of the old brickworks.
extension of the Elversberg municipal sports field.
Because of the 25th anniversary of the naval comradeship Scharnhorst, former Admiral Dönitz visits Elversberg. Dönitz had been released from the Berlin-Spandau War Crimes Prison in 1956 after 10 years imprisonment for war crimes.
Two deaths shocked people. On September 1, 19-year-old Kriemhilde Kohler is shot dead with a pistol in the Mühlental by the district forester Speichler von Spiesen. Two days later a cyclist from St. Ingbert in the Mühlental shot himself "while handling a pistol".
The body of the district forester Speichler is found near Menschenhaus on November 29th.
Founding of the Maltese Relief Service and the Kneipp Association.
The topping-out ceremony of the 5th construction phase of the local branch of the German Settlers' Association is celebrated in Großenbruch in the presence of the Minister of Labour Hermann Trittelvitz.
The Schmalwiesschulhaus is abandoned as a teaching post.
Economic reintegration of the Saarland into the Federal Republic of Germany.
On July 6, 1959, the exchange of francs for DM begins. The extensive smuggling of the population at the borders to Germany comes to an end.
At the Galgenbergturm a bar is set up and a playground is completed.
The topping-out ceremony is celebrated in the European village in Spiesen.
The new war memorial in Mühlental is inaugurated. The plan is by master builder Stary, executed by the artist Otto Zewe.
The old war memorial in Heinitzstrasse (now Butterberg) in front of Lions House is torn down. Only the plates with the names of the fallen remain.
The Spies municipal council decides to expand Kellerberg and Haberdell.
The AWO Elversberg applies for the transfer of land for the construction of a retirement home.
Resolution on the construction of a new fire brigade council house at the old brickworks in Elversberg.
Herbert Recktenwald is re-elected mayor in Spiesen, Albert Schomers in Elversberg.
The Elversberg municipal council decides to draw up a development plan for the remaining part of the Grossbruch.
In the Kleberbach the parish St. Marien creates a youth and holiday home (Marienheim).
The settlers' cooperative "Eigenhilfe" Elversberg has 25o. house.
The old people's home of the AWO at Galgenberg celebrates its topping-out ceremony.
The mining accident in Luisenthal claims 299 victims. The Elversberg municipal council has made 10,000 DM available for surviving dependents.
Inauguration of the new sports home in Spiesen.
A new industrial site is built "Am Zankwald" in Spiesen.
The extension of the Mittelbergschule with gymnasium and teaching pool is almost finished.
Coal production at the Heinitz mine is stopped. Many miners from the village have to go to further away pits.
Dissolution of the Spiesen office and formation of the independent communities of Spiesen and Elversberg.
Johann Blatt becomes full-time mayor of Elversberg.
The new Elversberg school building with gymnasium is built in Großenbruch.
Inauguration of the new Spieser School on Mittelberg.
The Heinitz coking plant is shut down.
The last trip of the Neunkircher tram to Spiesen takes place on 29.11.1965.
Heinrich Kohler (CDU) becomes the first full-time mayor in Spiesen.
Elversberg gets its own municipal coat of arms: "In silver a black main post, accompanied by two black crosses, placed on a green triplet, this is covered with a silver miner's lamp with red flame. "The main pole - a combination of the heraldic images of shield head and pole - as a symbol for shaft and gallery should, in connection with the miner's lamp, remind us of the origin of Elversberg, when ... a colony of miners was established here, from which the village developed. The green triplet is a striking symbol of the village name and the location of the village on three hills. The two crosses represent the churches of the two main denominations."
New construction of the Spiesen primary and secondary school with a teaching swimming pool.
The THW local association Spiesen is founded.
With the completion of the motorway, Spiesen and Elversberg will have their own access roads.
January 1st, 1974
Regional reform in Saarland: Spiesen and Elversberg are merged to form one large municipality. Heinrich Kohler is mayor.
The tourist association "Friends of Nature" is founded.
Due to the regional reform, Menschenhaus falls to Neunkirchen.
Spiesen becomes the headquarters of the workshop centre for disabled people (WZB) of the Lebenshilfe in Beckerwald.
The "Glückaufhalle" in Elversberg is opened as an event location.
The award of the new municipal coat of arms, the basis of which is the coat of arms of Spiesen from 1953, supplemented by "a black miner's lamp with silver glass and red flame. The miner's lamp symbolizes the district Elversberg, which developed from a colony of miners.
foundation of the association "Freier Fanfarenzug" Spiesen.
Completion of the school in Großenbruch.
Mayor Heinrich Kohler retires. Friedhelm Pfeifer (CDU) from Rohrbach becomes the new mayor.
The Peterschule becomes the "House of Clubs".
During the excavation of the rainwater retention basin in the Erzpfuhlstraße, the gallery of the former iron ore mine "Karl am Elversberge" is rediscovered and made visible by an information board and a gallery mouth.
Inauguration of the town hall forecourt with the town hall fountain.
The arch guild "Rödgestal" is founded.
10/12/88: St. Ingbert cedes land for the extension of the Elversberg cemetery to the municipality. The historical borders between Bavaria and Prussia and the border between the districts are shifting.
The town hall café is opened.
The former synagogue in Spiesen is marked by a commemorative plaque and thus brought to mind.
Population: Spiesen 6869, Elversberg 8981, total 15850
The protestant church of Elversberg is 100 years old.
Because of the Gulf War, Shrove Tuesday is cancelled.
The first Spieser village fair is held in June.
The kindergarten in the Mittelbergschulhaus is opened.
A park is opened in Großenbruch in honour of the former mayor of Elversberg, Franz Becker.
The convent of the "Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ" from Dernbach is closed down in Spiesen after 94 years.
Karl-Friedrich Kausch (SPD) is elected mayor by the local council.
The new sports hall in Langdell is opened to the public.
Despite protests from the population, the teaching swimming pool at the Spiesen primary school closes for cost reasons.
The school in Großenbruch is named "Albert Schweitzer Secondary School Spiesen-Elversberg"
July 2, 1995:
800th anniversary of Spiesen with a historic parade.
The support association of the Spiesen primary school is founded.
Demolition of the Wilkapatent barracks.
Completion of the large building project on the Alter Markt in Elversberg.
Lothar Engelbreth succeeds Norbert Welker as head of the village of Elversberg.
The Elversberger Fichtenstraße is extended.
Inauguration of the new home parlour in the St. Ingberter Straße
Thanks to the Vespa friends, the Galgenbergturm gets a new dome which protects the inside of the tower.
The Wohnpark am Markt (EDEKA) in Spiesen is built.
After renovation Grelle Heisje becomes the museum of local history in Spiesen.
Inauguration of the "new" Spruce Road in Elversberg.
The WZB (Workshop Centre for the Handicapped) at Beckerwald in Spiesen celebrates its 20th anniversary and now has 700 employees.
Spiesen and Elversberg celebrate "silver wedding anniversary", 25 years after the regional reform.
The youth wind orchestra of the Elversberg protestant parish looks back on 25 years.
The traditional inn "Zur Flotte" ("The Fleet") ( in front of it "Zur Glocke" in Spiesen next to Lions House is torn down.
On August 9: Heavy flooding in Spiesen.
The former "Waldschlössel", which was to be demolished, burned down. Today "Auf dem Zimmerplatz" stands for the Centre for Communication. (CFK)
In Spiesen, construction work begins on the "Dreispitz".
For 140 years the gymnastics club has existed in Elversberg.
In the Spieser outskirts, 72 illegally erected buildings are investigated.
50 years inn "Zum Wildberstock" (Meissner family)
The residential area Schmalwiese will be developed.
Foundation of the reservist comradeship Spiesen-Elversberg.
Elektroanlagenbau Axel Trapp is built in the Hungerpfuhl industrial park.
A large exhibition in the Glück-Auf-Halle presents "True treasures of village history" on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of Elversberg.
The Elversberg voluntary fire brigade celebrates its 125th anniversary.
The 50th anniversary is celebrated by the protestant lutheran parish of St. Martin.
100 years the singers of the church choir Cäcilia celebrate in Spiesen. On this occasion they receive the Palästrina medal.
70th anniversary of the naval comradeship "Scharnhorst" Elversberg.
"A new main collector for the Spieser Mühlental" is built and therefore the road to Rohrbach is closed for a longer period of time.
100 years catholic Sacred Heart Church Elversberg. A memorial plaque is put up for the pastor Johannes Ries who was murdered in Dachau.
Completion of the 2nd stage of construction Festplatz Spiesen.
The illegal development on the Spieser Bann is a constant topic of discussion in town and in the newspaper.
The Mittelbergschule in Spiesen gets a facade renovation and the playground on the schoolyard is renovated to be suitable for children.
The first direct election of a mayor in Spiesen-Elversberg is won by Reiner Pirrung (CDU) from Ormesheim with 58.9% of the votes against incumbent Kausch.
50th anniversary is celebrated by the carnival association "Alleh Hopp", although the 50th is no foolish anniversary.
In July the new mayor introduces himself: "Pirrung - personal and political".
Ground-breaking ceremony for the "Centrum für Freizeit und Kommunikation (CFK)".
Thomas Thiel replaces Ludwig Rehm as head of Spiesen.
Another desecration of the Jewish cemetery in Neunkirchen, which was also the burial place of the Jews of Spiesen, causes horror. 19 gravesites are completely devastated.
The Schützengesellschaft celebrates its 100th birthday.
The old people's home St. Josef in Spiesen is closed at the end of the year.
The large construction project on the Butterberg continues after some problems.
"Spiesen is growing, Elversberg is shrinking" writes the Saarbrücker Zeitung, because Elversberg's former population advantage of about 3000 people has shrunk to 1250 inhabitants, because many people have moved in due to the new construction areas in Spiesen.
110 years Pensioners' Association Elversberg. 800 members celebrate with us.
In the Mühlental valley, the forest well is built by Günter Debold, Günter Germann and Berthold Bauer with the help of the community farm. The Kirkel stonemason Robert Kraus designs the name stone.
The travel company Horst Becker Touristik looks back on 50 successful years with a big party.
The Elversberg AWO celebrates its 80th birthday.
In the Lindenstraße in Elversberg the new roundabout is opened for traffic.
After 37 years as pastor of the Catholic parish of St. Ludwig Spiesen, Pastor Theo Klein is retiring.
On September 28, the Center for Communication is officially opened.
The Gänseliesel fountain is moved in front of Lions House. The Elversberg Sports Association celebrates its 100th anniversary with a festival on the Kaiserlinde.
Olaf Harig is the new catholic pastor of Spiesen.
The SPD Elversberg celebrates its 90th anniversary.
A new artificial turf pitch is inaugurated at the Kaiserlinde.
An all-day school is established at the Pestalozzi school in Elversberg.
At CFK a new Nordic walking park is inaugurated.
At the local museum the replica of an old cemetery cross is blessed.
The Elversberg Fools' Guild (NKV) celebrates 5x11 foolish years.
The local heritage association opens the new hiking trail "Brunnenweg".
The catholic parishes St. Ludwig Spiesen and Herz-Jesu Elversberg found a parish community.
The canal construction in Rohrbacherstraße leads to longer closures of the Spieser Mühlental. The residents of Rohrbacherstraße experience a traffic-calmed time.
The catholic parish Herz-Jesu Elversberg celebrates its 100th birthday.
The square in front of Lions House is handed over to the public after the redesign and is now called "Gänselieselplatz".
A new water pipe is laid in Spiesen without having to tear up the street completely.
The rainwater overflow basin (RÜB) 107 in the Hungerpfuhl is being built to break up the rainwater and prevent flooding situations. The vegetation serves to clean the water.
A second measure is the sewer construction in the centre of Spiesen. The pipes are pressed in an underground procedure (microtunneling). Large starting and target shafts were built and the pipes were laid in between.
In Elversberg, the foundation stone of the new Sparkasse bank in Fichtenstraße is laid.
The youth fire brigade of Elversberg celebrates its 50th anniversary.
Mayor Reiner Pirrung (CDU) wins his re-election against Dr. Steffen-Werner Meyer (SPD).
The Spieser fire brigade is 150 years old.
After 10 years of "exile", the carnival in Spiesen is again held at Langdell. The sports hall is re-equipped for the carnival every year.
The renovation of Elversberg's all-day school is completed.
Topping-out ceremony for the new THW home in Spiesen.
St. Ludwig Spiesen and Herz-Jesu Elversberg become a parish.
Laying of the foundation stone at the Lutheran KITA in Bethel Street.
The parish church of St. Ludwig is 125 years old and in Lions house an exhibition is held for the anniversary.
160 years of Elversberg is celebrated in the Glück-Auf-Halle.
The boundary stone path between Spiesen and Rohrbach is laid out by the local history association and combines historical events with modern hiking experiences.
After 37 years, the last edition of the Spiesen-Elversberg local history calendar was published, which documented the local history on several thousand pages.
The EVS finishes work on the new collector in the Mühlental valley, which will prevent future flooding.